Re: Read SQL Server long table name from Oracle

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 4 Aug 2003 01:46:46 -0700

goforticket_at_yahoo.com (Linda Lee) wrote

> I used Oracle HS connectivity to create a database link to SQL Server
> database which is by a third party application. All SQL Server table
> names are weird, having multiple . (dots) such as final.test.jobs. Now
> when I do 'select * from final.test.jobs_at_dblink;' (or 'select * from
> "final.test.jobs"@dblink;') in Oracle, I keep getting something like
> 'table test.jobs is not found in the remote database' error. Is there
> a way to workaround on this problem?

Enclose the forgein names in double quotes. i.e. select * from "final.test.jobs"@dblink

This tells Oracle to treat the table/column name as a literal (i.e. not to make it uppercase).

BTW you can also create lower case table names and columns names (even with spaces in it) in Oracle itself using double quotes. A bad idea, but still possible, e.g.
CREATE TABLE "my table" ( "column 1" NUMBER(2) )

--
Billy