Re: SHUTDOWMN ABORT PROBLEM WITH 8.1.7.4.2 ON WIN2000

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Aug 2003 07:14:50 -0700

fatih.dokmeci_at_arcelik.com (fatih) wrote in message news:<20ba4576.0307240216.2e4791f2_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> We hHi,
> We have serious problems with 8i on Win2000,such that we can not
> SHUTDOWN ABORT
> without reboot the server(SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE is not possible but we
> want first solve ABORT problem).That 's our production server and not
> have the chance to reboot so frequently.
>
> Configurations:
> Oracle 8.1.7.4.2
> Win 2000 SP 3
> 4 processors
> 4GB memory.
>
> We use a script for shutdown including these steps :
> 1. connect svrmgrl as internal
> 2. shutdown abort
> 3. startup restrict
> 4. shutdown immediate
>
> The system hangs on step#2 and the performance on Win2K decreases so
> that the mouse does not move.To reboot the server from Start Menu
> takes more than 1 hour.
>
> We have also a TAR from metalink more than 2 months but nothing
> achieved.
>
> So what can be the reason and the solution?
> Is there a bug with 8.1.7.4.2 or a configuration problem?Any
> solution?.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Fatih.ave serious problems with 8i on Win2000,such that we can not
> SHUTDOWN ABORT
> without reboot the server(SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE is not possible but we
> want first solve ABORT problem).That 's our production server and not
> have the chance to reboot so frequently.
>
> Fatih.

  1. Were you able to obtain a system state dump while the "shudown abort" was hanging and have the Metalink Analyst examine it?
  2. Why are you not running a patchset (8.1.7.4.1) that is the terminal release and had been out for a very long time? I'll bet that the TAR was closed without a solution because you weren't on the currently supported patchset version.
  3. Did they reply in the TAR "upgrade to 9.2.0.3.0 patchset 2 and see if the problem persists"? This is the current latest release and patchset.
  4. Are you running W2K Advanced Server with the /3GB switch set in the boot.ini? If not, the virtual memory for the SGA counts against the process limit. Examine the virtual memory for the process in the task manager, or use a tool like pslist.exe from SysInternals (http://www.sysinternals.com) e.g.: c:\> pslist -m oracle

and examine the output.

5. if you are not satisfied with the response by Oracle Support, you can escalate the TAR. There is a doc available on Metalink that covers the escalation process.

There is also a paper available at
http://www.nyoug.org/presentations.htm - click on the link for "March 2001 Training Day: Oracle Support".

hth.

Paul Received on Sat Aug 02 2003 - 09:14:50 CDT