How widespread is the use of triggers these days and how concerned about performance?....

From: Nari Kannan <nkannan_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1 Aug 2003 18:53:50 -0700

Fifteen years ago when databases were primarily used in the context of transaction-intensive applications, triggers were a nice feature of a DBMS system that did not get used because of performance concerns.

Fast forward 15 years, it seems to me that 95% of database usage is for
non-transaction intensive information (I could be wrong in this). Given this I see increasing usage of triggers for doing various necessary things that regular reporting does not do.

Am I just dreaming or that triggers are being increasingly used?

Are performance concerns not important in the above context as long as you
are mindful of stuff like cascading triggers and keeping the trigger code short?

Thanks in advance for your insights, experiences and opinions.

regards
Nari

Nari Kannan Received on Fri Aug 01 2003 - 20:53:50 CDT