Re: published paper about indexing?

From: AK <ak_tiredofspam_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Aug 2003 15:13:53 -0700

> It depends on how smart the optimizer is - keep in mind the source of
> the article. If the database optimizer can be aware of non-standard
> distributions of values, as DB2's is, then indexing widely ranging
> columns can be valuable. Same with static tables - indexes are very
> valuable if index-only access is possible.

<IMO>
  Though Oracle's optimizer seems to be a little bit behind DB2's, it's not that much, probably just a couple of years.

As for "static" - that word describes the DSS universe where all the tables are static, then we just reload them and rebuild a whole bunch of indexes.

I've had some practice with index only access (even published an article on DB2DD), but sometimes achieving it just does not make much sence. And still indexes on static tables in DSS environment do make sence

</IMO>

What do you think? Received on Fri Aug 01 2003 - 17:13:53 CDT