Re: Storing trailing zeros in mantissa

From: Eric Parker <eric.parkerthedross_at_virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:03:12 +0100

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net> wrote in message news:mvvWa.28555$Oz4.8824_at_rwcrnsc54...
> Noons is correct. Jeff, the difference is purely one of display and not
one
> of actual percision. If you are using an interface (eg oci, odbc, etc.)
tp
> retrieve this data it will come back as a number and the added 0 wouldn't
> make sense. (it is a number) In sqlplus you will see it depending upon
how
> you have set your formatting to be, but that has nothing to do with what
the
> number is.(eg put in a number 10.12345432123 and you will probably get
back
> a displayed number that displays less percision, but if you use oci etc.
you
> will retrieve the full percision of the number. You can have the display
> display more decimals if you set the numeric format to be larger.) In
> short, if your other program wants strings (and not numbers) then I would
> still store the number as a number, but just do a
> to_char(myColumn,formatMask) to get it to "look right". See SQL Reference
> guide for the formatMask that will work for you.
>
> Jim
>
> "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message
> > and if he wants to return it with a
> > fixed two decimal, all that's needed
> > is a mask function, no?
> >
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Nuno Souto
> > wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam
> > "Eric Parker" <eric.parkerthedross_at_virgin.net> wrote in message
> > > "Jeff Turner" <zigjst_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
there

Oracle...

> > > Jeff
> > >
> > > If you really need to store and be able to distinguish between 10.2
and
> > > 10.20
> > > then you will have to store them as VARCHAR2s. As numeric values they
> are
> > > identical.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > eric
> > >
> > > --
> > > Remove the dross to contact me directly

I believe the OP wants to be able to remember if he receives '10.20' as opposed to '10.2'. I suppose he could add a second column that held the number of zeros at the right but if he stores the values just as numeric he will have lost this original information.

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly