Re: Howto do undo a default clause?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 20:27:13 +1000

"Tanel Poder" <tanel@@peldik.com> wrote in message news:3f2a37c2$1_1_at_news.estpak.ee...

> Quite interesting issue, though ;)

Darn! I was afraid someone would say that... The problem I have is that we run a script that reads all this stuff and creates a XML schema from the info in dictionary.

If there is nothing in default value, nothing gets into XML. Then the Java generator that creates the code for the DAOs for the system objects does the right thing.

If there is something in there, even if it is the string 'NULL', it creates a <DEFAULT_VALUE> </DEFAULT_VALUE> tag. This in turn causes the code generator to throw a wobblie fit when it shoves the 'NULL' string into a NUMBER field!

Oh well, looks like it's time to patch the XML generator...

Bloody Oracle! About time they fixed these little inconsistencies in the dictionary and gave us proper default handling! I'd kill to be able to use PL/SQL functions in the default expression. Not allowed, not even in 9ir2...

I know triggers do the same. Not for Java and XML, though! Ah well, there is always 11E. Whenever it comes out...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto