Re: Howto do undo a default clause?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:49:50 +0300

Hi!

I checked, rows con$ didn't increase when defining default values to columns. So, there should be no additional constraints. There's a column DEFAULT$ in COL$ which is LONG datatype, which stores default values (or system functions).

It's possible to use "alter table x modify c1 default null" to make default to null. But this null is stored as string "null" (the name of function) in the LONG, not actually as "nothing". I also tried '' and other stuff, but it didn't help. So it seems that you should alter the defaults to be "null" or if you really-really want to get rid of null functions as well, then start updating col$, which of course is blah blah blah....

Quite interesting issue, though ;)

Tanel.