Mysteriously dropped connection and deciphering the trace

From: Alex Smith <asmith42_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 31 Jul 2003 14:45:17 -0700

Hi all,

I have an application that uses Oracle's JDBC thin driver 9.0.x to have a nice, friendly chat with 8.1.x database. During this exchange the server rudely interrupts the conversation and causes the application to fubar. The driver reports this as 'Connection reset' (IOException) without any error numbers. The server is hosted by a 3rd party in one of those "controlled" environments so my first guess is network/tx timeout but wouldn't it say so? This is 100% reproducible and always fails in the same place. The line of code corresponding to that reported in JDBC driver stack trace does nothing but unset the auto commit. If this is indeed a case of one particular transaction timing out on commit, how do I tell if this is indeed the case? I can't do a client-side SQL*Net trace with the thin driver and server-side SQL trace doesn't tell me anything interesting.

Here's the relevant part of the server-side SQL*Net trace (IP address changed to protect the innocent):

nigini: Count in NI global area now: 1
nigini: Count in NI global area now: 1
nrigbni: Unable to get data from navigation file tnsnav.ora niotns: Not enabling dead connection detection. nlpcaini: No process parameters set

nsinherit: connecting...
nsinherit: doing connect handshake...
nsinherit:

ADR="(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(DEV=18)(HOST=x.y.z.f)(PORT=1521))" nsinherit: bufl=257
nttbnd2addr: port resolved to 1521
nttbnd2addr: using host IP address: x.y.z.f
nsopen: opening transport...
nttcnp: Validnode Table IN use; err 0x0
nsopen: transport is open

nsinherit: hoff=0
nsinherit: handshake is complete
nttbnd2addr: port resolved to 1521
nttbnd2addr: using host IP address: x.y.z.f nsinherit: inheriting the connection...
nsopen: opening transport...
nttcnp: Validnode Table IN use; err 0x0
nttcnp: getting sockname
nttcnp: getting peername
nttcon: set TCP_NODELAY on 18
nsopen: transport is open

nsnainit: inf->nsinfflg[0]: 0x8 inf->nsinfflg[1]: 0x8 nsopen: global context check-in (to slot 0) complete
nscon: doing connect handshake...
nscon: sending NSPTRS packet
nscon: doing connect handshake...
nscon: got NSPTCN packet

nsinherit: connection inherited
nsinherit: connected
nscon: sending NSPTAC packet
nscon: doing connect handshake...
nscon: nsctxinf[0]=0x49, [1]=0x8

nsconbrok: asking transport to enable NTOBROKEN nsnainconn: inf->nsinfflg[0]: 0x49 inf->nsinfflg[1]: 0x8 niotns: No broken-connection function available. nazsgunm: failed with error 12630
nioqbr: state = normal (0)
nsdo: sending NSPTMK packet
nioqbr:  calling rdbms ast handler...
nioqbr:  ...done.
nioqrs:  state = interrupted (1)

nsdo: sending NSPTMK packet
nsrdr: got NSPTMK packet
nioqbr: state = normal (0)
nsdo: sending NSPTMK packet
nioqbr:  calling rdbms ast handler...
nioqbr:  ...done.
nioqrs:  state = interrupted (1)

nsdo: sending NSPTMK packet
nsrdr: got NSPTMK packet

ORA-12630 (if that's what nazsgunm is saying) is like HTTP 500: no way to tell what went wrong..

Any help is appreciated.

Alex Smith
Insight LLC Received on Thu Jul 31 2003 - 16:45:17 CDT