Re: How to programatically/dynamically update tnsnames.ora

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:44:03 +0200

On 31 Jul 2003 06:52:53 -0700, avsrk_at_mailcity.com (Subrahmanyam Arya) wrote:

>Dear oracle gurus,
>
>This is exactly my scenario. I have a java application which talks to
>Master oracle DB. From with in this java application, i create
>database links to remote oracle databases and do queries. the database
>links are dynamically created as and when new remote database comes
>up.
>Presently we are distributing this application and are having the
>customers edit the tnsnames.ora either manually or use them netasst
>(SQL Net configurator)
>
>But eventually we do not want them to edit manually.
>
>Has anybody attempted to programatically update the tnsnames.ora
>either using a unix script or from inside java. are there any bad
>consequences to doing this.
>
>Previously i had miserable experience with editing this file manually
>and things did not work until i used netasst (SQL Net program).
>
>Another reason why we donot want customers to edit tnsnames / use SQL
>Net is licensing restrictions and contractual obligations. We got
>oracle licenses for cheap and we cannot expose oracle or expect the
>end user to do any kind of DBA activity
>
>So what i am looking for is some easy custom script / tool that does
>exactly what SQL.Net does to tnsnames.ora
>
>-thx,
>avsrk

Just setup Oracle Names and/or Oracle Internet Directory and forget about the other suggestions. Both products will provide the user to a central tnsnames.ora. You only will need sqlnet.ora and that will never change.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Jul 31 2003 - 12:44:03 CDT