Re: DBCA cannot run

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Jul 2003 07:46:37 -0700

garrylam <member34439_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<3164127.1059529239_at_dbforums.com>...
> Originally posted by Maximus
> >

> > Most likely what has happened is exactly what is supposed to, you
> > just need
> > to switch to your X virtual console via ctl+alt+f7
>
> I run the "dbca" directly on the server (IP:192.168.0.10) and
> $ export DISPLAY="192.168.0.10:0.0"
>
> I have already set in the rc.local (512M RAM)
>
> echo 100 256 100 100 > /proc/sys/kernel/sem
> echo 4294967295 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Wrong. Oracle recommends to set shmmax to the half of the available RAM. 256M in your case. Shouldn't affect dbca though.

> echo 4096 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni
> echo 2097152 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
>
> and type the command on the terninal in the x-window (GNOME), but still
> cannot run it ,wihout any error message .
>
> is this the problem about the PII CPU ? Even when I install the DB , I
> need to use $ touch to correct some install eroor .

First of all, do you have Oracle environment set? You have to have ORACLE_HOME/bin in your path and a score of other environment variables. They are usually set by running oraenv script, but to run it you need to have a database already, or at least an entry in /etc/oratab file.

What happens when you type dbca in the terminal? Does it just hang there or expire without messages? BTW, you can debug dbca, it's a shell script in $ORACLE_HOME/bin, calling a java program. Received on Thu Jul 31 2003 - 09:46:37 CDT