Re: Incremental indexing in Oracle Text

From: Tim Arnold <timkarnold_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:43:09 -0100

"Russell Lear" <russelllear_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:WL8Wa.513$jp.77_at_newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> We're using Oracle 9i to hold a moderate to large number of documents (>
> 100,000). We'd like to use Oracle Text to do this, but we do have some
> concerns on indexing performance.
>
> If documents are coming in at an average of one every 2 - 3 seconds and we
> want the index to be up to date, can we reindex after every document?

 yes, you can use ctxsrv (although it is not recommended)

> would the time spent on indexing swamp the machine?

you'll have to test that for yourself. But depending on the size of the document(s), and your machine,
I suspect there would be no problem

> Is Oracle's indexing
> smart enough to see that a document hasn't changed and so not re-scan it?

yes. You know about the 'hidden' trigger? dr$pending?, etc?

> Alternatively, is there a way to specify exactly which files to add to the

you can index in batch or on a time interval (lookup ctxschedule)

> I've looked through the documentation on OTN (and it actually is quite
> complete and thorough, especially on configuring), but haven't seen a
> discussion of how to control this aspect of indexing. (And I may well
have
> missed it - there's a lot there).
>
> Thanks,
> Russell.

Sometimes there is the assumption, in Oracle documentation, that the reader has followed all the threads and iterations of a product. Received on Thu Jul 31 2003 - 05:43:09 CDT