Re: delete cascade & trigger

From: mitt <nospam_at_nospam.at>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:03:30 +0200

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> mitt wrote:
>

>>Daniel Morgan wrote:

>>>It more than hints. But more importantly ... why? What difference does it
>>>make? The answer to this question is not just rhetorical ... but may point
>>>to the solution.
>>>
>>>My instinct is that you have two entities performing the same task. Drop one
>>>of them: I'd modify the foreign key.
>>>--
>>>Daniel Morgan
>>>http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
>>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>>(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
>>>

>>those 2 tables belong to some other application(s) I have no influence
>>on; the delete trigger (installed as part of our application) records a
>>lot of information calculated in this trigger into one of our tables,
>>which is analyzed later on by our application;
>>the kind of processing done with this information very much depends on
>>the "original cause" of the trigger-fire-event caused by some unkown
>>delete statements done by that other applications;
>>I'd like to record the reason for trigger-firing in our table in order
>>to be able to react/branch processing in our application;
>

> Then deal with it on the application side. If you are deleting a parent ... you
> know what you are doing and have your application handle it accordingly.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

it is not MY application that deletes, but a number of 3rd-party apps (not modifyable); I have read-only access to those parent-child tables; in fact my application's purpose is some kind of surveillance of those tables and notify again some other applications, depending on what kind of delete actions are going on those tables; Received on Thu Jul 31 2003 - 04:03:30 CDT