Re: 8i/9i cross version sqlplus connection problem

From: Ulrich Gayer <ugayer_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:39:33 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

>>My problem is that I don't manage to connect to the 9i db *without
>>password* using a Oracle 8 sqlplus or vice versa. I use the Unix user
>>"oracle", member of groups "oinstall" (primary group) and "dba"
>>(secondary group)

> Is there any reason you can't/don't want to/want to be smart to set
> your environment correctly using oraenv before connecting to sql*plus?
>
> Why on earth do you want to use oracle 8 sqlplus to connect internal
> to Oracle 9 *if you have oracle 9 sqlplus*

Because I want to use my limited smartness on more important tasks than remembering which database runs on which Oracle version.

In real life we're not talking about 2 databases. If you got many dozens of them, some on 8i, some on 9i, it becomes very tedious to remember/look up which one is on which Oracle version and then always source the appropriate environment first.

Ulrich Received on Thu Jul 31 2003 - 01:39:33 CDT