Re: published paper about indexing?

From: Sailesh Krishnamurthy <seesignature_at_cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: 30 Jul 2003 23:13:10 -0700

A lot depends on what you're looking for - performance of index operations, protocols for concurrency control etc.

For B-Trees, Doug Comer's 1979 ACM Computing Survey's paper "The Ubiquitous B-Tree".

For R-Trees, Antonin Guttman's 1984 (I think) SIGMOD paper.

If you trawl SIGMOD/VLDB records you'll find gazillions of such papers.

I also suggest Joe Hellerstein's GiST paper (VLDB 1995).

Then there is the SIGMOD 97 paper on Variant Indexes by O'Neill & Quass.

From a concurrency control perspective there is Lehman and Yao's paper as well as the various ARIES papers by Mohan and others (I recommend ARIES/KVL and ARIES/IM).

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh