Re: Migrate 200 Million of rows

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 30 Jul 2003 22:22:44 -0700

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote

> What I really like about lossless compressors is the fact that you can
> compress a file, then compress it again and again and again until you
> end up with a 1 KB file (roughly). This can be copied to a floppy and
> your entire database cold backup sent to whoever you like. No need for
> all that NFS stuff - just a few passes through the compressor program
> does the trick.

Yeah.. we should market these neato tricks. I also have one. It deals with backups. I have discovered this amazing device file on Unix. I have backed up an entire physical database to it. But the device stays the same size. I'm sure it is implementing this compression method you're speaking of. I have not yet figured out how to read from the device.. but I'm getting there. In the meantime I have made the symbolic link /dev/tape0 for this wonderous device called /dev/null...

<GD&RLH>

--
Billy