Re: DBA task for System DBA and Application DBA

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:46:39 -0500

You will probably get lots of different responses to this question, just 1 opinion here...

Basically a "System" DBA maintains the databases/instances on the server (backups, recovers, create database, tweak init.ora, etc.) and an "Application" DBA maintains the Oracle schema (tables,indexes,views,tune Sql,etc.).

Note: Another key role is the "System" Admin which is the person responsible for the hardware on the server and for the server OS. In some companies this is combined (so I hear) with the "System" DBA job. In our company, they are separate jobs.

Anyway, the roles/responsibities of the "Application" DBA seem less clear to me than the "System" DBA. In some places, the "Application" DBA is responsible for everything that happens in a schema (tables, indexes, views, etc.) in both Development/Test and Production databases. I think this is too inflexible and controlling to the developers.

Having been a developer with this type setup, the DBA could easily become a "bottleneck" to getting work done (at least in a Development/Test database). Lots of times code changes require data model changes. If you have to wait on a DBA for each little change to a data model in a dev/test database , I don't see how you get anything done .

However, there are benefits to having this inflexible and controlling process for the Production Database. But, it does require more DBAs . Another approach would be with a good "change control" process, the DBA could be involved in "reviews" before the developer/support staff makes the change (depending on changes) in production too. Takes less DBAs and you should have a good change control process anyway.