Re: Import question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Jul 2003 17:15:22 -0700

Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote in message news:<Xns93C85ABB3E77Achuckhsofthomenet_at_130.133.1.4>...
> nilanjan_sarkar_at_hotmail.com (nilanjan) wrote in
>
> > I am trying to import just one table from an export file which has the
> > entire schema with a lot of other stuff, and since the file is big in
> > size more than the OS limit, it has been compressed. But I am running
> > into an error trying to read from the unix pipe during import. The
> > import waits for a while and then reports unexpected end-of-file.
> >
> > So here is what I am doing :
> >
> > mkfifo $DBEXPORT/temp_fifo_import
> > uncompress > $DBEXPORT/temp_fifo_import < $DBEXPORT/big_export.dmp.Z &
> > import user/pass tables=xyz file=$DBEXPORT/temp_fifo_import &
> >
> > Pl let me know if you have used any of these similar methods to import
> > and any resolution...
>
> I have seen problems like this before using gzip on Solaris, but never
> using compress/uncompress.
>
> With no extension on temp_fifo_import, Oracle will add ".dmp" but oracle
> will not. That may be the problem. Try putting a .dmp on the end of the
> name of the pipe and see if that works. If it doesn't you might try
> uncompressing the file and using "split" to create multiple output files,
> then use cat to combine them and write them to a single pipe that imp can
> read.
>
> Keep us posted.

Also try:

zcat instead of compress
sleep 60 between commands
nohup at beginning of command to be backgrounded tables in parenthesis with backslashes before parenthesis run top or similar to see if compress or import are getting any time ls -l on all files
echo all environment variables
press a couple of returns to see all messages from background ps -ef and grep for your login
be sure the original compress completed and was a reasonable size if you ftp'd, be sure it was in binary and whole file made it try SHOW=Y on imp
zcat the dump into od -c or strings to see if expected stuff is there

post exact error message.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.