Re: Metalink down

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: 30 Jul 2003 19:56:44 GMT

"Anton Buijs" <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in news:3f2801ed$1$49103$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl:

> Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
> Xns93C882E6E3384chuckhsofthomenet_at_130.133.1.4...

>| Is it just me or is Metalink down again? I guess I'll have to ask my
>| question here.
>|
>| Is there a bug with the oracle 817 and 920 clients on Win2k when it
>| comes to the TNS_ADMIN environment variable. It seems to be ignoring
>| the setting in both version. I normally use this when I have multiple
>| client installs to poing them all to one admin directory so I only
>| have one to maintain. Both version are using their own local admin
>| directories though. I've

> tried
>| setting TNS_ADMIN as an env. variable, and in the registry. It's
>| ignoring it no matter where I put it.

> It's up and running here!
> No problems myself, running 817 on Windows 2000 and Windows XP with
> TNS_ADMIN
> But you must set it in each HKLM\Software\Oracle\Home<n>, not
> HKLM\Software\Oracle. Could that be the problem?
> What tool is giving problems? Sqlplus must work. Toad has it's own
> mechanism choosing the home to use but when you click "Sqlnet Help" on
> the Oracle connections screen it shows you exactly what sqlnet files
> it will use for each home. Toad 7.3 and 7.5 are reading TNS_ADMIN in
> my experience.

Since I didn't want to have to put it in multiple places in the registry I did it as a system environment variable. It's ignoring it. I also tried it in HKLM\Software\Oracle. It used to work there but doesn't any more. I just tried it in each HKLM\Software\Oracle\Home<n> and it's still ignoring all of them.

Here's my environment variable...
TNS_ADMIN=d:\oracle\ora920\network\admin

Here's my registry keys...
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0] "TNS_ADMIN"="d:\\oracle\\ora920\\network\\admin"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1] "TNS_ADMIN"="d:\\oracle\\ora920\\network\\admin"

The only home that succesfully finds the tns_admin directory is home2 which is the one who's oracle home directory is d:\oracle\ora920. Received on Wed Jul 30 2003 - 14:56:44 CDT