Re: delete cascade & trigger

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:35:30 -0700

mitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a table with an on-delete-cascade foreign key;
> in the row-level delete trigger I need to know, whether it fired because
> of a delete command on the table itself or if it was due to a
> "recursive" delete on the (grand-)father table;
>
> is there a way to accomplish this (in version >=8.1.7.4)?
> I know that this need hints at bad application design, but...;
>
> THX
It more than hints. But more importantly ... why? What difference does it make? The answer to this question is not just rhetorical ... but may point to the solution.

My instinct is that you have two entities performing the same task. Drop one of them: I'd modify the foreign key.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu