Re: RMAN duplicate and read-only tablespaces

From: Keith <kknauss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Jul 2003 06:38:17 -0700

Actually the datafile was backed up through rman. In the duplicate, I'm using "set until scn" to specify the scn of my last cold backup. I can see the datafile restored to the new server. However, during the "alter database open resetlogs," I receive the ORA-01152 error.

All the datafiles have the same scn (that I specified in "set until") -- except the datafiles belonging to the read-only tablespaces (obvious, right?). The Oracle support engineer explained the scn's of all datafiles have to be the same for the database to open. Sounds great, but the point of "duplicate" is to handle such caveats (like changing dbid, recreating control files, etc).

If you read the 8.0, 8i, or even 9i documentation it leads you to believe this is possible (otw, what's the point of 'skip readonly' -- should be default behavoir because it would fail otherwise). The engineer referred me to bug #1040149 which explains my situation exactly. The problem is the report says it's fixed in 8.1.7 -- I'm using 8.1.7.4.

He closed the tar and said if I wanted to get a bug# or corrected documentation I had to open another tar. The burden of documenting bugs is placed on the customer? I can't believe it.