Re: Migrate 200 Million of rows

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 29 Jul 2003 16:14:55 -0700

rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote in message news:<1efdad5b.0307291000.5d987842_at_posting.google.com>...

> i dont know anything about compression algorithms. ive always wanted
> to get a high level explanation of how they actually 'compress'
> something. Im assuming its similiar to how voice is amplified when you
> speak in the phone. samples are taking and applied from there.
>
> or am I wrong?

those are called "lossy" compression algorithms. JPG image compressions is an example. For data you need "lossless" algorithms. For obvious reasons.

Read this:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/groups/honors-program/freshsem/19951996/jnl22/jeff.html and this:
http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/Multimedia/node207.html for some basics.
Heaps on the net about this, do some google-ing and you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know... ;)
Fascinating subject, BTW. Puzzled me for years. Then one day on Compuserve I asked a question about this and some guy I can't remember gave me a brilliant explanation how it all works. Particularly the LZ compression, that one is nasty to understand. Later on I found out the guy was one of the first writers of pkzip.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Jul 29 2003 - 18:14:55 CDT