Re: ORACLE RAC CRASHES ORBITZ

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:05:42 -0700

Larry wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> Your points are well-taken. I agree that all of DB2, Informix, and Oracle are good
> databases. And I agree that we should try to keep to technology discussions here.
> But the problem is this. Based on what I have seen and heard from listening to
> others in this newsgroup and in other forums, there is no other relational db sw
> company out there that appears to have the "image", "perception" ... call it
> whatever you like ... that Oracle does. It is (unfortunately) one of cockiness. Many
> claims are made that are clearly marketing hype claims. Some are true. Some are
> exaggerated. True that this is symptomatic of the entire industry, but the
> perception that peopl seem to have is that Oracle seems to promote more. People know
> this and recognize it. When something like this happens, you see reactions no matter
> who the vendor is. But when it happens to Oracle, people react moreso. Think of how
> many movies you have seen where there is the theme of a known "bully" who kept
> menacing others. When something managed to "happen" to that bully, people reacted a
> bit differently than they would have if it were just a "normal" person. See the
> analogy?
>
> Larry
>
> <snipped>

I agree. Your points are excellent. To some extent exaggerated or hyperbolic advertising begs for the subsequent, and inevitable attack.

But just because invites abuse doesn't mean that anyone is obligated to comply. In this case, if the Oracle RAC software is at fault, I'll happily jump in too.

My objection was not to piling on after the facts were established. But rather to equally hyperbolic nonsense about what Ellison might or might not do. It contributes nothing to a rational discussion.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu