Re: ORACLE RAC CRASHES ORBITZ

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:18:45 -0700

Darin McBride wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > Blair Adamache wrote:
> >
> >> It's possible that DB2, Informix, Sybase and 'C' compilers have all
> >> caused crashes. Never heard of a C compiler crash that interrupted
> >> production and got the same level of coverage as Orbitz did in eWeek and
> >> Computerworld. I guess when you buy the back page of the Economist and
> >> Businessweek and use the word "Unbreakable", you attract a little more
> >> attention - the same way a blivet attracts flies.
> >>
> >> <snipped>
> >
> > So now Larry is responsible for the amount of news coverage? What has the
> > amount of coverage got to do with anything?
>
> I think the point is much more simple than you want to admit:
>
> * Oracle advertises "unbreakable".
> * (It is claimed that) Oracle broke.
>
> All I can say is that I hope that Oracle execs (who must have approved of
> the "unbreakable" campaign) have lots of seasoning to add taste to their
> feet.
>
> > I thought we were involved in technology not marketing hyperbole. Leave
> > the P/R nonsense to the weasels. Yep Oracle put out the phrase
> > "Unbreakable". P&G put out the phrase "Whiter and brighter"? That's what
> > they pay people in marketing to do in lieu
> > of having real jobs. Or don't you remember when someone got paid a lot of
> > money to add UDB to DB2? So why do you go after one and not the other?
>
> 1. I've not heard of anyone saying, "Here's some data that can't be stored
> in the Universal database."
> 2. I've not heard anyone claim that DB2 is the only "universal" database.

At one level I agree with you. Nothing is unbreakable. It is impossible to conceive of a product that put on the wrong hardware, hosted on the wrong operating system, run through the wrong web server, used to execute bad code, and managed by a bunch of monkeys wouldn't break. Anyone that believes otherwise is dummer than a bag of hammers.

Assuming you, and others, bear no relationship to the above referenced bag ... why the literal interpretation of what is clearly marketing hyperbole?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu