Re: ORACLE RAC CRASHES ORBITZ

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:40:41 -0700

Blair Adamache wrote:

> It's possible that DB2, Informix, Sybase and 'C' compilers have all
> caused crashes. Never heard of a C compiler crash that interrupted
> production and got the same level of coverage as Orbitz did in eWeek and
> Computerworld. I guess when you buy the back page of the Economist and
> Businessweek and use the word "Unbreakable", you attract a little more
> attention - the same way a blivet attracts flies.
>
> <snipped>

So now Larry is responsible for the amount of news coverage? What has the amount of coverage got to do with anything?

I thought we were involved in technology not marketing hyperbole. Leave the P/R nonsense to the weasels. Yep Oracle put out the phrase "Unbreakable". P&G put out the phrase "Whiter and brighter"? That's what they pay people in marketing to do in lieu of having real jobs. Or don't you remember when someone got paid a lot of money to add UDB to DB2? So why do you go after one and not the other? Perhaps some axe to grind because you have a religious devotion to one band of toothpaste over another?

Unless you are holding a major portion of your assets in common shares on the NYSE or NASDAQ I'd keep in mind that we are all here for the paycheck. And who wins the marketing wars matters not one dollar to what we take home and use to pay the bills.

If Oracle was at fault so be it. But jumping on Ault's posting with a reference about Larry buying the company to cover for a mistake crosses a line somewhere between irrational and paranoid.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu