Re: RedHat 7.3 Oracle 9.2

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 05:59:17 +1000

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:44:48 +0100, DJ <nospamplease_at_goaway.com> wrote:

> "Tom" <tomNOSPAM_at_teameazyriders.com> wrote in message
>> > try setting them where they belong in /etc/system then go read the
>> > installation guide
>>
>> but redhat has /etc/rc.d/rc.local and solaris has /etc/system ?
>>

> nope, rc.local is for starting programs on startup of the machine
>
> /etc/system is where you set the kernel parameters

I don't know about Red Hat 7.3 (I only installed it once there before moving onto 8.0), but what the installation guide actually tells you to do is to

cat 250 32000 100 128 > sem
 and

cat 2147etctectetc > shmmax

...in the /proc/sys/kernel directory.

But that only gets the settings correct until you reboot. So to make the changes permanent, you can add the lines:

cd /proc/sys/kernel
cat 250 32000 etc > sem
cat 2147etcetcetc > shmmax

...to the end of /etc/rc.local

Reboot and check, and it works. Whether it's good Linux practice or not is a different story.

What you definitely don't do is use the word "set".

~QM Received on Mon Jul 28 2003 - 14:59:17 CDT