Re: dropping analyze objects from data dictionary

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:08:46 +0200

On 28 Jul 2003 08:10:45 -0700, amanclark_at_yahoo.co.uk (amani) wrote:

>I have an Oracle 8.1.7 Database running on a Windows 2000 server
>which, although it is medium sized at best, is and has been running
>slowly. I have noted that there are scheduled tasks running including
>an Analyze script which analyzes every schema, including SYS and
>SYSTEM.
>
>I've read that doing this can cause performance to fall significantly
>and cause problems. While there have been no huge problems so far,
>Would stopping the scripts analyzing the SYS and SYSTEM schema's give
>a potential increase in performance? If so, how would I drop the
>existing analysis data from the data dictionary? (I'm not yet very
>competent/confident at sql)
>
>Thanks for any help.

You should simply in 8i NEVER EVER ANALYZE sys and system.

Use
begin
dbms_utility.analyze_schema('SYS','DELETE'); dbms_utility.analyze_schema('SYSTEM','DELETE'); END; to get rid of statistics ASAP

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Jul 28 2003 - 13:08:46 CDT