Re: How does Oracle Fast Refresh on Materizlied View for Joined Tables?

From: Jusung Yang <JusungYang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Jul 2003 08:24:44 -0700

coldrainandsnow_at_lycos.com (Jitendra Patel) wrote in message news:<7610580f.0307271752.39273a2e_at_posting.google.com>...
> > > IIRC you can't have fast refresh on complex mviews. This includes
> > > joined tables.
> > >

> > > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>

> It make me wonder who would make Sybrand Bakker a Senior Oracle DBA.
>
> He is always willing to pipe-in a wrong recollection.

If you search Google for the postings by Sybrand, I think you would agree he deserves any ORACLE title he wants...

When ORACLE comes up with dbms_mviews.explain_mview and dbms_mviews.explain_rewrite to help you understand the capabilities of an MV, you know things are getting a bit out of hand. These two procedures can not tell you everything either. My previous post appeared to be a blanket statement that all MJV are fast refreshable. This is of course not the case. Even a sigle table MV can not always be fast refreshed. Things can change from release to release. The only way to be sure is to do a test.