Re: 'drop tablespace' produces a file/table lock??

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:19:05 GMT

> You will find the exact same to be true when dealing with DSOs on
> Unix. This is how it IS SUPPOSE TO WORK. Period. Don't blame the
> operating system for your lack of understanding on how DLL locking
> works.

I understand how DLL locking works. So I am not *lacking* as you would put it. And, I fully understand how poor application programmers can write code which leads to problems. But the big question is why does Windows force these DLL's to be locked? You don't see the same thing with shared library files in Unix. The whole thing boils down to MS deciding that they know more than I do and they are trying to protect me from doing bad things. They leave out the fact that I may know what I am doing and that I may know more about what I am doing than they do...

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com