Re: 'drop tablespace' produces a file/table lock??

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 27 Jul 2003 22:42:31 -0700

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote i

> >> Thus, it will not be locking a file UNLESS some process specifically
> >> stated that in its fileopen()/_fopen() call. Which means that file
> >> handle will be locked until the closefile()/_fclose() call.
>
> I have to disagree. The reported behaiviour with sqlplus is one example,
> I have come across others. Using Delphi or BCB for example. Open a file
> in the IDE the close it. 9 times out of 10 it cannot be deleted until
> the IDE is closed. This is the same problem as with sqlplus - and I
> *think* it is a Windows Bug in the fclose() or locking subsystem - the
> locks are not released when the file is closed, only (it appears) when
> the file is closed and the application exited.

Unless it is an error/bug in the relevant IDE or sqlplus app... I've never ran into this problem as a WinNT bug.

As for deletion.. while file is locked (i.e. file handle was created with CreateFile() call) without using FILE_SHARE_DELETE as a share flag, it cannot be deleted.

I honestly do not think this is a bug. If it was, it would have been known and would have been a cause for great concern (correct file locking is a fundemantal feature in any file system).

--
Billy