Re: problem with listener on oracle 8.1.7

From: Svend Jensen <Svend.S.Jensen_at_it.dk>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:24:52 +0200

VasantKumar Naidu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem:
>
> I am running SCO Unixware 7 with Oracle8i (8.1.7.0.0). The system is
> running fine but I am facing this problem.
>
> When I start the listener, it starts successfully and give the
> following summary:
>
> Services Summary...
> cbi has 1 service handler(s)
> PLSExtProc has 1 service handler(s)
> The command completed successfully
>
> But when I connect to the database through the tnsnames.ora file:
>
> I get the following when I check for the listener status on the server.
>
> Services Summary...
> cbi has 3 service handler(s)
> PLSExtProc has 1 service handler(s)
> cbi has 3 service handler(s)
> cbi has 3 service handler(s)
> The command completed successfully
>
> Why does this happen, sometimes the transaction stop, the query hangs
> but the if I restart the listener everything is fine for the sometime.
>
> I am giving the configuration of my listener file below:
>
> listener.ora
> ------------
> LISTENER =
> (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
> )
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 172.16.1.179)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> )
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (PROTOCOL_STACK =
> (PRESENTATION = GIOP)
> (SESSION = RAW)
> )
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = cbicpp)(PORT = 2481))
> )
> )
>
> SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> (SID_LIST =
> (SID_DESC =
> (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
> (ORACLE_HOME = /home/app/oracle/product/817)
> (PROGRAM = extproc)
> )
> (SID_DESC =
> (GLOBAL_DBNAME = cbi)
> (ORACLE_HOME = /home/app/oracle/product/817)
> (SID_NAME = cbi)
> )
> )
>
> *****
>
> below is the tnsnames.ora file from my server:
>
> tnsnames.ora
> ------------
> INST1_HTTP =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = cbicpp)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVER = SHARED)
> (SERVICE_NAME = cbi)
> (PRESENTATION = http://admin)
> )
> )
>
> EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> [...]

Hi,

to address - sometimes the transaction stop, the query hangs -

The listener is only for establishing connections between client and server. It listens for incoming connect request and checks if the requested service is available (running or exists) and the user name password. If this is OK, it spawns a shadow process (in dedicated mode) and redirects this process to connect to the client, either on the same port as the listener or on a random selected port. Check the listener.log in $ORACLE_HOME/network/log. End of story for the listener. It is not involved in any transactions nor any query after the connection is established.

/Svend
Remove the spam killer [S.] in the reply address. Received on Sun Jul 27 2003 - 11:24:52 CDT