Re: VSAM files to Oracle (or other RDMS)

From: Andrew E. <aerginbas_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:04:49 +1000

Hi,
I assume Oracle is running on a different hardware box than IBM mainframe. You can use IDCAMS utilities on MVS such as EXPORT or REPRO to export a VSAM file into a Flat file then use SORT utility to sort this flat file...Then use 3270 emulator's tools to ftp this flat file to your pc or the unix box which Oracle is running on. If you know the record structure of the VSAM file you exported then it is only a trivial work to write a SQL to read this file into Oracle table...The other method would be: writing a COBOL program to read from VSAM to write to a Flat file... Andrew E.

If you know the record stucture