Re: Restoring & recovering in NOARCHIVELOG: Thank you all

From: Carlos <miotromailcarlos_at_netscape.net>
Date: 27 Jul 2003 01:45:18 -0700

And, finally... mr. Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA in all his nature.
It was a surprise for me when I saw your first note in the thread that your answer to my original question was, more or less, educated. I've been seeing lots and lots of notes posted by you through the time and the most of them were, in one or another way, despective, arrogant and in many cases, just bad mannered... and this time was not to be an exception, of course.

The original question was concise and neatly explained: "If we use redo log files large enough to hold all the redo activities of a whole day we could not only restore the 'last-night cold backup' in order to reprocess, but recover the DB status to the instant before a HW failure as well by using the redo log files to roll forward. Am I right?". Also, I explained that some of the decisions were out of my hands. Was It so difficult a simple, concise answer?

I am not a 'Senior DBA' ( that's why I donīt proudly sign with the three letters like you do), I am just a developer that matches everyday problems, and, from time to time, I post here for answers ( I haven't got all the time that you seem to have to post here your rough notes, I just spend the most of my work time working).

I didn't mean to 'flame the newsgroup' (I apologize if It seemed so), I only wanted to put out that sometimes the obvious solutions are not real options. (In my case the DBA guy that manages the production environment database made the choice of NOARCHIVELOG).

The only one that uses words like 'silly', 'unimportant', 'crap', 'stupid politics' and a total out-of-touch style is mr. Bakker (self-satisfied Oracle Senior DBA)... and all this in response to a note of acknowledgment. No more comments...

Carlos. Received on Sun Jul 27 2003 - 03:45:18 CDT