Re: tracking changes on a table through ODBC application

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2003 17:25:20 -0500

On 26 Jul 2003, db_guy_2002_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>> We are talking Oracle here. Oracle doesn't have 'dirty reads'
>> like the Mickeysoft toys do.
>>

> Both DB2 and SQL Server support all four *standard* isolation
> levels.  Even open source databases like PostgreSQL are also
> getting there, so its quite suprising that oracle is lagging
> behind in not supporting these isolation levels.

They do support dirty reads. You can set that isolation level all you want and you will find that you will not be blocked by a writer of data, just like other databases.

Now, if _you_, a professional in the database arena, actually want to read uncommitted data over committed data, then I question your competence, but Oracle will not allow another process to read uncommitted data, period.

Please tell us how, reading uncommitted data from some other process is preferable to reading the most recently committed data.

--
Galen Boyer