Re: tracking changes on a table through ODBC application

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:31:02 GMT

Wrong. The reason dirty reads exist in those databases is to make up for short comings. (The argument 10 million Frenchman can't be wrong is a rather species and not logical argument.) Dirty reads are not a feature they are a failing. Oracle itself does do dirty reads; it just does not allow you the user to do them. (eg trying to insert a row with a repeated primary key where the repeat was inserted in an uncommitted transaction that you cannot see. Error will be raised because the primary key violation. Case of Oracle "looking behind the scenes - doing a dirty read".) Dirty reads are part of ISAM and flat file technology when transactions did not exist.

Of course, the are "part of the standard", the standard is a compromise by a bunch of companies and not a dictate by any particular company.

But being a "db dude" I would have thought you would have been more informed.
Jim