Re: Restoring & recovering in NOARCHIVELOG

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:12:15 +0100

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net> wrote in message news:lPsUa.149389$ye4.103201_at_sccrnsc01...
> While it is true you can spend a fortune on disk drives; it is also true
> that you can over pay for anything. In comparison to other hardware disk
> drives are cheap. You are over complicating the issue with the separate
> devices etc. Just stripe and mirror everything. Much simpler, better
> performance.(and certainly more bang for the buck) Archive log gives you
> some more options that non-archive log does not for recovery. Only a fool
> does not put their production OLTP database in nonarchive log mode.
> Jim

All true, but in my shop it depends on the SLA. If the SLA says 'recover to close of play yesterday', then we don't run in archivelog mode, because no one is ever going to pay us to spend time freeing space for a stuck archiver, for example, or even for monitoring that the archiver *isn't* stuck.
Inferior strategy, and a ship of fools I agree, but he who pays the piper calls the tune.
In the event of loss, if it turns out that we are lucky enough to be able to recover using only the current redo, the business will say "Thanks! Well done!", but it probably won't alter the strategy. Admittedly, this is mostly for DW rather than OLTP, but there *are* exceptions.

Regards,
Paul Received on Sat Jul 26 2003 - 15:12:15 CDT