Re: Minimalistic approach to Oracle on Windows

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2003 07:17:32 -0700

vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au (Vsevolod Afanassiev) wrote in message news:<4f7d504c.0307260002.3999175b_at_posting.google.com>...
> I am trying to understand what is the minimal required setup
> for Oracle 9.2.0 to run on MS Windows 2000.
>
> For example, on UNIX all you need is
> - create user "oracle", group "dba" (and set shared memory and
> semaphores)
> - install Oracle as "oracle"
> - set env. variables ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or
> SHLIB_PATH),
> and PATH (PATH is not really required, just for convenience)
> - create file $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init$ORACLE_SID.ora (normally a
> symlink, but it can be a real file)
> - sqlplus /nolog, connect / as sysdba, startup nomount, CREATE
> DATABASE...
>
> The rest (starting listener, creating tnsnames.ora, listener.ora,
> pupulating
> oratab, configuring /etc/init.d/oracle to run
> $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart, dbshut)
> is purely optional.
>
> What is the similar minimal setup om Windows?
> I installed Oracle, but an attempt to start SQL*Plus and connect / as
> sysdba
> leads to ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error...
> The manual, Metalink notes, and some posts on this group all tell me
> to use Database Creation Assistant, start listener first, start Oracle
> by starting Windows Service, etc. I am sure it will work with DBCA,
> but how to do it without it?
>
> Thanks

  1. Create Oracle instance and password file using ORACLE_HOME\bin\oradim. Create pfile before this. Type oradim help=y for command line switches.
  2. Set oracle_sid and connect as sysdba.
  3. Create system, undo and temp tablespaces and deploy catalog files.
  4. Optionally create user tablespaces.

Goto http:/tahiti.oracle.com for help on create commands.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Sat Jul 26 2003 - 09:17:32 CDT