Minimalistic approach to Oracle on Windows

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au>
Date: 26 Jul 2003 01:02:45 -0700

I am trying to understand what is the minimal required setup for Oracle 9.2.0 to run on MS Windows 2000.

For example, on UNIX all you need is
- create user "oracle", group "dba" (and set shared memory and
semaphores)
- install Oracle as "oracle"

The rest (starting listener, creating tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, pupulating
oratab, configuring /etc/init.d/oracle to run $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart, dbshut)
is purely optional.

What is the similar minimal setup om Windows? I installed Oracle, but an attempt to start SQL*Plus and connect / as sysdba
leads to ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error... The manual, Metalink notes, and some posts on this group all tell me to use Database Creation Assistant, start listener first, start Oracle by starting Windows Service, etc. I am sure it will work with DBCA, but how to do it without it?

Thanks Received on Sat Jul 26 2003 - 03:02:45 CDT