Re: ld error relinking oracle 7.3.4 on Sun 2.5

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:45:13 +0200

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:33:49 -0700, a <a_at_abc.com> wrote:

>Billy Verreynne wrote:
>
>> signup1919_at_yahoo.com (S) wrote:
>>

>>>Getting the following when trying to relink sqlplus, etc:
>>
>> <snipped>
>>
>>>I'm sure has something to do with my environment, but I can't track it
>>>down.
>>

>> The actual error is clearly explained in the make output. Read it
>> again. Carefully. Especially this part:
>>
>> "ld: elf error: file /usr/oracle/product/7.3.4/sqlplus/lib/afidrv.o:
>> unknown type, unable to process using elf(3E) libraries"
>>

>>>Any suggestions?
>>

>> RTFM? Al least man ld.
>>
>> BTW, there's no need to run Oracle 7 to feed your machochistic
>> tendencies. I will gladly beat you senseless with a lead pipe for
>> free. Or I can get a fellow Scorched Earth Party supporter in your
>> neigborhood to drop by instead?
>>
>> --
>> Billy
>> PS. Yes - that implies only idiots still run version 7 and not version
>> 8, or prefably version 9. No. Idiots is not too strong a word either.
>> And no.. I have not yet had my first cup of coffee either...
>
>I have a Mensa eligible IQ and the business runs on V7.3.4.5;
>but only because the application is tied to Forms3 to support
>about two dozen remote sites across a frame relay network.
>
>It actually is a VERY stable database. When I need
>to make use of newer features I simply call packages
>which reside in a V9.0.1.4 instance or use the V9.0.1
>to make the request from a V9.2.0.3 instance.
>
>Don't laugh too hard. It works.
>The business is profitable.
>The revenues have grown at a 20+% rate annually
>for the last 10 years and I'm paid a decent wage.
>
>So who is an idiot?

You, because you are responsible for this mess, and allow running sw which has been desupported before the stone age. I guess at the end of the day your boss simply makes a bird scream to signal the end of the day.
You are also an idiot because when this crap finally falls apart, your management will blame your for it. So when you get sacked and have to find another job, you'll find yourself a timetraveller like Catweazle. Hopefully you don't forget your frog when you are thrown out.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Jul 25 2003 - 23:45:13 CDT