Re: Object privilege at row level?

From: Quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:59:02 +1000

On 25 Jul 2003 05:58:41 -0700, Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote:

> is the term 'VPD' and FGAC just for marketing purposes?

It's a long and tawdry tale. It started off life as RLS, then became FGAC, and now they seem to have (finally!) settled on the term VPD. But it still uses the DBMS_RLS package, thus betraying its origins.

"Row Level Security" sounded a bit boring, I suppose: made people think it was just something to do with row level locking or something. 'Fine Grained Access Control' sounds like something a granmother from the Victorian era might have cooked up whilst sharing a cucumber sandwich with the vicar. "Virtual Private Database" has got the sexy word 'virtual' in it.

However you call it, it's all just a lot of marketing hot air.

> Seems to me
> that if I want to implement row level security, I can create a policy
> and follow those procedures for doing it.
>
> what am I missing?

Nothing. Creating a policy is exactly how you implement it.

~QM Received on Fri Jul 25 2003 - 15:59:02 CDT