Re: 'drop tablespace' produces a file/table lock??

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:05:58 GMT

I've also seen it with DLL files and Oracle Forms and Reports. When running a Forms application, accessing centrally located Forms and Reports DLL files, a lock was placed on the file. In some extreme cases, we've had to reboot the end user's workstations. Big pain in the....when dealing with Windows and its file locking.

Cheers,
Brian

Norman Dunbar wrote:

> Hi Billy,
>
> you wrote :
>
> >> Thus, it will not be locking a file UNLESS some process specifically
> >> stated that in its fileopen()/_fopen() call. Which means that file
> >> handle will be locked until the closefile()/_fclose() call.
>
> I have to disagree. The reported behaiviour with sqlplus is one example,
> I have come across others. Using Delphi or BCB for example. Open a file
> in the IDE the close it. 9 times out of 10 it cannot be deleted until
> the IDE is closed. This is the same problem as with sqlplus - and I
> *think* it is a Windows Bug in the fclose() or locking subsystem - the
> locks are not released when the file is closed, only (it appears) when
> the file is closed and the application exited.
>
> Cheers,
> Norm.

> Norman Dunbar
> Database/Unix administrator