Re: Restoring & recovering in NOARCHIVELOG

From: Daniel Roy <danielroy10junk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Jul 2003 07:55:54 -0700

You will need to read a bit about database backups and recovery. First, a Production database should never run in NOARCHIVELOG mode! Just put it in ARCHIVELOG mode (with automatic archiving, of course). Then, if you still want to make daily offline backups, go as you do now, but include the archive logs also in your backup. That way, you'll be 100% sure to be able to recover up to the second before any HW failure. Relying on the changes still being in the redo logs is not recommended, secure and supported, even if I might work sometimes. Please read the backup and recovery manuals at tahiti.oracle.com.

Daniel