Re: Restoring & recovering in NOARCHIVELOG

From: Quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:55:45 +1000

On 25 Jul 2003 05:39:39 -0700, Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Your are right, but, in order to perform a roll forward, archiving
> must be turned on

Incorrect. You can roll forward provided the requisite redo is available. And it doesn't matter whether the redo comes from an archived log or from the online logs.

Particularly when you remember that during routine recoveries in archivelog mode, where does your server process read the last-but-one bout of redo from? The non-current online redo log, in preference to its archived replica, that's where.

> and you'll have to have all of the archives that
> were created throughout the day. The size of the redo log does not
> necessarily matter, however, you don't want to be switching logs every
> minute, once every 15min is good.

No it isn't. Log switch when its suitable to do so. Saying that every 15 minutes is 'good' is a bit like saying 'I weigh 140 pounds... do I look good in blue?'. It's meaningless, in other words. It's good for you, but not for everyone else.

~QM Received on Fri Jul 25 2003 - 07:55:45 CDT