Re: database backup

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:05:10 GMT

dagnu wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm not DBA, so i've got problem:
> I'd like to move my database to an other server (Oracle 8.1.7, Solaris
> 8); my database had dbf files on 2 partitions ...
>
> I've used this command: exp system/manager file=export.dmp full=y
> log=/log.txt
> But when i do the import, i retrieve dbf files only from the first
> partition :( (where there are the log, control files, etc ...)
>
> So, what is the best way to migrate a database !! export, import or
> copy files ?!

Do you want to move a database from one machine to another, or do you want to move the data in a database on one machine to a (possibly new) database on another machine?

Your action (exp & imp) describe the second situation. This action would make the entire set of data available on the new machine and that should now have been completed. This would be a 'copy' - to change that to a 'move' you would destroy the original when you are comfortable the new one is working right.

The dbf, control and log files are unique to each copy of the database and describe the current state of the database. The instance (running programs managing the database) takes care of creating and updating these files. For you to be able to import, they will already have existed in the second machine and at the end of the successful import they will have been updated appropriately.

The first situation I describe would normally involve only copying the files you mention and would generally be restricted to one operating system & version (eg: Windows NT 4 SP6a or Solaris 8) as the binary files tend to be incompatible between systems. You would not need an import to move the data.

Do you have experience with other database systems? If yes, please let us know which one(s). You may be confused with the term database. Received on Fri Jul 25 2003 - 04:05:10 CDT