Re: 'drop tablespace' produces a file/table lock??

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:14:00 GMT

Hi Jared, thanks for writing this:
> Just had an interesting problem and wondered if anyone knew the why of
> it - I just dropped a tablespace. Went to delete the file at the OS
> level (I'm in 8.1.7.4.1 on Win2K) and Windoze wouldn't let me - said
> there was a sharing violation. I've only done this a gazillion times
> in *nix and other OS'. Closing the SQL*Plus session that I had used
> to drop the tablespace released whatever lock there was; presumably
> ORACLE.EXE had a lock on the datafile until I exited SQL*Plus.
>
> When I was a VAXcluster manager several decades and a marriage ago,
> one could create one's own message classes. Many had a 'WTF' class
> (one leaves it to the reader to parse out the acronym); and any error
> not otherwise trapped returned something like "WTF - what are you
> trying to do?" to the unfortunate user. This just seems like one of
> those situations.
>
> If anyone knows definitively what was going on I'd appreciate hearing
> about it.
>
> TIA -
>
> Best regards,
> jh

I don't have an answer, but doesn't WTF mean you only get these errors toward the weekend ... on Wed, Thu, Fri? <g>

On *nix, I don't think you actually delete the file either until all processes that have it open exit (you just drop the file's "directory entry"). When I was a VAX/VMS sysadmin, I couldn't delete a file that was open (same was true with other DEC O/Ss like IAS, RSTS, RT).

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]