Re: Finding what have not been backed up in RMAN

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:48:24 +0200

Forte Agent <1443131_at_usenetplanet.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 19huhv06o888ats0cnaneej46g07s7he0d_at_4ax.com...

| We are using RMAN to backup our databases. We want to find
| databases/datafiles that have not been backed up for past ??? days. I
| know I can execute following in RMAN:
| report need backup days=???;
|
| However, above works only when you are connected to a target database
| from RMAN. It does not report more than one database, so you have to
| connect to each and every target database and run above command
| multiple times. Also, when the target database instance is down,
| above report does not work.
|
| Is there some way to get list of databases/datafiles that have not
| been backed up for ??? days, without having to connect to target
| databases? That is, it should work even if the target databases are
| down. And it would be good if it reports more than a single database
| in a single operation. In other words, we are looking for some thing
| similar to "report need backup days=???" that works without having to
| connect to target databases. Thank you in advance.

Like Brian said: query the RC%-views in the catalog. Check the RMAN User Guide and Reference. There a chapter dedicated to the description of the Recovery Catalog. Oracle won't do that if they did not want you to query it. I don't agree with Sybrand. I know you use RMAN too. Do you never query the catalog?
I don't agee with Brian either. You should keep the catalog up to date. Because you work with RMAN the proper way. - You resync the catalog after changes on datafiles. - You crosscheck regulary to reflect the really available backups. And: the target does not need to be open, a mounted state is sufficient. RMAN just must be able to read the controlfile. Received on Thu Jul 24 2003 - 12:48:24 CDT