Re: Storing GUIDs in Oracle

From: Maximus <qweqwe_at_qwqwewq.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:08:16 GMT

"Jeff Boenig" <jeff.boenig_at_elsitech.com> wrote in message news:3f1ef668_at_btitelecom.net...
> Now you're just name calling. Grow up.

What name did I call you?

> I understand what a GUID is. That does nothing to explain why the Oracle
> ADO.NET data provider doesn't support them.

GUIDs can be stored as binary or character data using exisiting datatypes in Oracle, a special datatype is not required. Since Oracle does not have a special built-in datatype for GUIDs, this would explain why Oracle's ADO.NET doesn't support them.

You haven't provided any details as to what purpose you are using GUIDs. The theory behind GUIDs is in distributed computing where you need to identify data from completely independant sources with a high degree of certainty that no two items will have conflicting identifiers. Unless you are developing such an application you don't need them. Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 17:08:16 CDT