Re: Storing GUIDs in Oracle

From: Jeff Boenig <jeff.boenig_at_elsitech.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:52:15 -0400

Now we're getting somewhere. This is the conversation I was hoping for, instead of the flame war. I did consider storing it as a fixed CHAR(32), but I don't like the idea of my keys being that large for performance reasons. Any guess as to which might perform better - CHAR(32) or RAW(16)?

I've also considered using an 64 bit integer for my primary keys instead. I lose global uniqueness, but I would gain a more efficient index. Anyone know of any caveats to using 64-bit integers as primary keys?

Thanks.