Re: Oracle BAckup Failed. Urgent Please

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:30:47 +0200

Rukmini Madduluri <rmadduluri_at_stantec.com> schreef in berichtnieuws a4d18386.0307230938.340cb63d_at_posting.google.com...
| > See comment inline
| >
| > Rukmini Madduluri <rmadduluri_at_stantec.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
| > a4d18386.0307100602.1392eeb4_at_posting.google.com...
| > | Hi gurus,
| > |
| > | I'm facing this problem where I'm trying to backup using BAckup tool
| > | in Oracle EM and it says file already exists. Can you please look at
| > | the RMAN job Output list below and lwt mw know what I'm doing wrong.
| > | If I do not specify my own backup file format but leave Orcale default
| > | foramt %u%s%t something like that teh back creates two files and it
| > | runs ok. But the problem occurs only when in specify channel format
| > | something like 'D:\backup\july9.bak'
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > | Rukmini
| > | Rmadduluri_at_stantec.com
| > |
| > |

| > So you DO NOT use Oracle default format.
| > You set a format when you allocate a channel., and you do it wrong, see
| > below.
| > Set something like format July9_%s_%p.bak or use %U if you like. I don't
use
| > OEM for RMAN backups but I can't imagine it is not possible to set a
format
| > mask there.
| > Tip: you make or generate a new rman script every day, because you
include
| > the day in the mask. Add a tag too then to make live easy.

rman output deleted

| > But there is no unique making mask in the format. The second backup
piece
| > gets the same name in your setup.
| > You are lucky RMAN refuses to overwrite a backup piece.
| >
| > | RMAN>
| > | RMAN> **end-of-file**
| > |
| > | RMAN>
| > |
| > | Recovery Manager complete.
| > |
| > | child process exited abnormally
|
| Thanks,
|
| I do understand now about what is happening. Can you tell me where to
| look for the RMAN persistent settings that make it to start a new back
| up after the first one. When I backup another database I do not face
| with thsi problem

I don't understand it too. But closely look to the RMAN commands used. There must be a different format in it.
In your RMAN run output there is the line:

    format 'D:\Backup\ims\July1.bak';
Does "ims" have something to do with the database name? Mayby OEM puts the other database name there, so it's written to another subdirectory?
Look up the format masks in RMAN manual. You must include %p, that stands for the backup piece sequence number. And mayby %d (is replaced by the database name) and %s, the backup set number. To complete it %t includes a timestamp that makes looking things back in the rman catalog easier. Look on Metalink (Top Tech docs) . There are good notes that explain the basics of RMAN. You really need it.

And again the question: why so many tablespaces? Do you really need it? Or does the vendor's application not allow you to set up different tablespaces? Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 14:30:47 CDT