Re: linux-oracle-hyper threading

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:06:08 +0300

No, there's more than just separate registers (and interrupts) per logical CPU.
When you got two threads running, they can for example share the same resources of a physical CPU. When one thread is doing a long latency operation, such as read from memory, other thread can use CPU to do it's tasks. Or when one thread is doing FPU operations, other one can execute "standard" operations. But this kind of context switching which is done in CPU, is done in thread level only, IIRC. But since Oracle in Linux (and Unixes) is using process based architecture, I don't thing we get any benefit from HT. Maybe in WindowsXP (2000 doesn't support HT), but anyway, since a typical Oracle instance doesn't that much of FPUs, MMX'es or whatever special units, it might be that HT doesn't give us anything at all.

Tanel.