read consistency question

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 16:52:18 GMT

How can I set transaction-level read consistency in a read/write transaction?

For example lets say session A is inserting and commiting rows every few seconds to table mytable. In session B I want to copy some rows from mytable to another table and then delete only those rows, ignoring those created by session A between after my insert began.

insert into mytable2 (select * from mytable where col1 = 'x'); 10 rows inserted

delete from mytable where col1 = 'x';
12 rows deleted.

I only want to delete the 10 rows that were processed by the insert. I don't want to delete the 2 rows that session A inserted after the insert began. I'm not looking for a workaround such as using an intermediate staging table. I'm looking for a way to make my session do transactionlevel  read consistency so it doesn't even see the 2 new rows inserted by session A after my insert began.

TIA Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 11:52:18 CDT